Friday 2 November 2012

Back to writing

Well it has been a while since I wrote on here but will try to visit more often in future.

I have been busy doing more research on my tree and helping some close friends to find out more about theirs. There is nothing like the feeling you get when you see someone get all excited about some information you have found for them!



I have also started volunteering at the Local and Family History Help Desk in the library and am thoroughly enjoying that. Now if they would only pay me for it, it would be my ideal job! I help out with Family History Workshops, which are designed for beginners who want some help to begin their research and again, its rewarding to see them gain interest as they go and the thrill they get when they find some information on an ancestor. I have been doing my own research for many years now and forget just how quickly it got addicting. People seem to really enjoy the workshops and come back at later dates to use the resources we have shown them. It is also great being able to refer to original documents and newspapers etc...none of my ancestors come from this area so I am limited in how often I can travel and use these for my own research. 

I has been fascinating to learn more about the history of my local area and I could spend hours reading some of the many books they have in their collection. It has made me think more about doing a course I saw on Local History and has rekindled my enthusiasm for history in general, as well as my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment